Universal credit

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment to help with your living costs and provides support if you are working and on a low income or are looking for work.

Find out more about Universal Credit

The following benefits and tax credits are ending and being replaced by Universal Credit:  

  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Housing Benefit
  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA)
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Look out for a letter called a Universal Credit Migration Notice from the Department for Work and Pensions (DWP) explaining what you’ll need to do and when. You can find out when you’re likely to be asked to move to Universal Credit

When you receive your Migration Notice letter, it’s important you check the date that you will need to claim by as you won’t be moved automatically. Do not worry, your letter will give you instructions to follow. Meanwhile, you can start to prepare for your move to Universal Credit.

Find out how much you’re likely to get on Universal Credit.

Your current benefits will end as soon as you submit your claim for Universal Credit. You will not be able to go back to your existing benefit once you have claimed. 

Find out about the support available to you and who to speak to for independent advice.

Contact the Move to Universal Credit helpline (0800 169 0328)

Call the phone number in your Universal Credit Migration Notice letter if you have a question about moving to Universal Credit or you’re unable to get online.

For more information about moving to Universal Credit and who to contact, go to www.gov.uk/ucmove

Community Hubs

Community Hubs will offer the following:

  • Advice on how to apply for Universal Credit – correctly signposting customers.
  • Direct customers to third party organisations who can provide food and fuel support.
  • Provide budgeting advice or refer to a third-party organisation who also provide this service.
  • Issue Food and Fuel Vouchers to customers in need.
  • Liaise with the Council Tax Department and/or Housing Associations if customers are struggling to meet their payments.


Contact Information

Telephone : 01495 311556

Email: Info@blaenau-gwent.gov.uk