Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council is responsible for the enforcement of housing standards within Blaenau Gwent.
- Investigating problems in rented housing and carrying out assessments under The Housing Health and Safety Rating System (HHSRS) to ensure that any residential premises provides a safe and healthy environment for any potential occupier or visitor.
- Providing advice for landlords and private sector tenants.
- Dealing with public and statutory nuisances such as dirty premises, noxious premises, dampness from neighbouring properties, smoke through the party wall.
- Dealing with empty properties.
- Dealing with landlord harassment or unlawful eviction.
- Dealing with HMO’s and Licensing of HMO.
- Immigration inspections. A person wishing to bring a non-UK resident family member to the UK will often require proof that their proposed residence is suitable.
Rent Smart Wales
Landlords and agents are required by law to be registered and/or licensed with Rent Smart Wales. If you own, rent out, manage and/or live in a rented property then this law will impact on you. To find out more and to apply visit www.rentsmart.gov.wales or call 03000 133344.
Minimum Energy Efficiency Requirements
All privately rented housing must now meet a minimum of an E energy efficiency rating in accordance with The Energy Efficiency (Private Rented Property) (England and Wales) Regulations 2015. Any domestic rental property that falls foul of the minimum requirements will be deemed unlawful and the landlord may be subject to a civil penalty of up to £5000. Some exemptions do apply. For further information visit:
Financial Assistance may also be available from the Council – (link will be available soon)
Energy Performance Certificates (EPCs) – Energy ratings for properties can be found on the EPC and a copy of the certificate can be found at www.epcregister.com.
Other Useful Links
Report a Problem
For further information or to make a complaint about housing conditions please email email@example.com or phone 01495 357813
Housing Standards Complaints will be dealt with in accordance with the Council’s Housing Standards Enforcement Policy