Council Tax Exemptions

Some dwellings are exempt, including properties occupied only by students, and vacant properties which:

  • are unfurnished (exempt for up to six months)
  • are owned by a charity (exempt for up to six months)
  • require or are undergoing structural alteration or major repair (exempt for up to twelve months)
  • are left empty by someone who has gone into prison, or who has moved to receive personal care in a hospital or a home elsewhere
  • are left empty by someone who has moved in order to provide personal care to another person
  • are left empty by students
  • are waiting for probate or letters of administration to be granted (and for up to six months after)
  • have been repossessed
  • are the responsibility of a bankrupt's trustee
  • are empty because their occupation is forbidden by law
  • are waiting to be occupied by a minister of religion

If you think your property may be exempt you should contact the Council Tax Section immediately.

People with Disabilities

If you, or someone who lives with you, needs a room, or an extra bathroom or kitchen, or extra space in your property to meet special needs arising from a disability, you may be entitled to a reduced Council Tax bill. The bill may be reduced to that of a property in the band immediately below the band shown on the valuation list. These reductions ensure that disabled people do not pay more tax on account of space needed because of a disability. If your home is in Band A, from 1st April 2003, a reduction may be granted under this scheme. Further details are available from the Council Tax Section.

Severely Mentally Impaired discount

The discount gives people diagnosed as SMI a reduction or an exemption on their council tax, depending on their living situation. If you are diagnosed as SMI and you live with another adult who pays council tax, your property will be eligible for a 25% discount. If you live on your own, you're entitled to a 100% reduction.

In order to qualify, you need to be diagnosed as SMI – that's having a permanent condition that affects your intelligence and social functioning.

Person with severe Mental Impairment - Application Form

Empty Properties and Second Homes

Some empty properties are exempt.  Second homes or holiday homes do not receive any discount. 

Granny Annexes

The Government has announced proposals that where an annex or similar self-contained part of a property is occupied by an elderly or disabled relative of the residents living in the rest of it, then it should not be regarded as a separate dwelling for Council Tax purposes. If you think you will be affected by these proposals please contact the Council Tax Section: Telephone (01495) 355212.

Council Tax Reduction

Council Tax reduction will help people on low incomes to pay their council tax bills. For instance, if you are on Income Support you will normally pay no council tax. You may qualify for benefit if you work and if your income is below a certain level. For further information please contact the Benefits Section or click on the link below:

Council Tax Reduction

Exemption Forms

These forms are available at the bottom of this page. They require printing out and posting back to the department stated on the form. The forms are downloadable in Adobe Acrobat format. You will require Adobe Acrobat Reader to view these forms.

Download the latest Adobe Acrobat Reader

Related Documents

Contact Information

For further information please contact:

The Council Tax Section
By telephone - (01495) 355212
By post - Council Tax Section, The General Offices, Steelworks Road, Ebbw Vale, Gwent NP23 6DN
Email :